Monday, February 21

TOMATO TIME RELISH

~Taking the Garden into my Kitchen


This time of the year is my favorite:  When cherry tomatoes are uber ripe and the plants start drooping with the shear weight!! We have so many cherry tomatoes, that I had the luxury of concocting a cherry tomato relish!


MY TOMATO RELISH

 Ingredients: 
  • 1 kilo cherry tomatoes
  • 1 large Spanish onion diced
  • 3 small chilies (medium to hot)
  • 3 cloves of garlic crushed
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ cup raw brown cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup fermented red wine vinegar
  • 1tsp arrowroot flower
  • 1tsp dried thyme leaves
  • A pinch of pink hymalan sea salt and freshly ground pepper

A lot of recipes call for mustard seeds, which I would have loved to include. Alas, I could not find them in my cluttered kitchen!! Most recipes also use brown malt vinegar but I was feeling experimental and used red wine vinegar (it turned out perfectly! Perhaps little sweater than if I would have used brown malt vinegar

First things first, I cut a cross into the skin of each cherry tomato. Then I let them soak in boiling water for a minute. This loosens up the skins so that you can simply peal them off! Next: I sautéed the spanish onion and diced chilies in olive oil. I let the onions brown for a good 5 minutes so they would release the maximum amount of the natural sugars. Then I added the crushed garlic, which I left on the heat for another minute.

Then I became mean and dirty… squeezing and separating the skinless cherry tomatoes into a rough pulp. I added the pulp, vinegar, sugar and thyme leaves to the sautéed onion.  With a pinch of salt, pepper and arrowroot flower; I left the relish to simmer for a good hour.  Make sure you sterilized any glass jars if you want to preserve relish. You can do this in the oven or by steaming them in boiling water.
Voila!!! This relish taste amazing! If you have too many tomatoes in your garden please don’t let them rot!! I have already stared digging in. I served mine with multigrain bread, avocado, more cherry tomatoes and a rocket and basil salad!
Enjoy!
Xx Yas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious... especially to those of us on the cold side of the planet. Alas, no fresh tomatoes for us for many months, very jealous.

purplegrape. said...

I'm sorry to tease you so!!

Xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...